Thursday, November 08, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5 (ed. 118)--Thirteen Farm Chores




13 Farm Chores we do at Browncoat Acres...

1. Groom donkeys (currying and hoof cleaning)

2. weed garden (well, what's left of it)

3. clear cedar (where cedar grows, grass doesn't)

4. collect and scrub eggs (the hens are on sabbatical, so haven't actually done this in a while)

5. shear sheep (this is only twice a year, and we're down to 3 from the original 8)

6. relocate rocks for landscaping/soil control (we're pulling most from the back of the property so we can establish the bigger garden/orchard there)

7. trim back rosemary bushes (we have 3, and they encroach pretty quickly. We'll have plenty for wreaths this year)

8. fetch grain and hay for animals (we have a choice between 3 feed stores, and I want to find a cheaper source for hay)

9. vaccinations (for 3 donkeys, 3 sheep, one dog, and 4 cats)

10. clean guns (DH does deer hunting in season, and we also have them around for the "varmints")

11. fence maintenance/repair (not done often, but crucial when necessary)

12. feed and water animals (we still don't have a great system, but it will be pretty moot in a little while)

13. clean out chicken coop/shred paper for nests (I think we're down to about 10 chickens now. The poop still builds up pretty fast, and we use paper instead of expensive hay)

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



16 comments:

Adrian D. said...

Farm chores! Yikes! *city boy high pitched squeal*

Beth Morey said...

Ah farm chores, unending and laborious! I used to work at an animal sanctuary, so I know how these tasks can seem to linger. And I would be honored if you'd add my blog link to your list. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is as close to farm chores as I've been! Other than tv of course. But my son would love to come over or a day of chores. He's crazy about all things farm!

http://inthebowl.blogspot.com

SJ Reidhead said...

Way too much work!

The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Anonymous said...

I'm a country girl at heart, but thinking of doing these in the heart of winter just makes me want to curl up in front of a fire with a good blog. ;) Great T13!

Mini Pauses
http://minipauses.blogspot.com

Terri said...

When I was growing up, I wanted to live on a farm. As I got older, I realized how much work was involved, but I still hold on to romantic notions about farm life.

cmw said...

We used to have dairy goats -- milking twice a day -- I'm pooped out just remembering.

Unknown said...

I want to have a little farm one day, but I'd have to big rich enough to pay someone to do all the work, I think I'm too lazy. But spreading seed out for chickens in the morning while I sang a merry tune has always sounded nice.

Also, I've just always wanted a cow, just to love...no other reason. I love cows, they're so cute and you can eat them too! I'd never eat my cow though...just pets and love.

Cindy Swanson said...

Wow! You're a busy person. But I'm betting you love it!

Wineplz said...

thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

and I agree, as a city girl, that list seems exhausting...but if this was my life and I didn't work a silly 9-5 office job, it might not seem as bad. Otherwise, right now I feel like I'm already handling a mini-farm with 2 boys, 2 dogs, and 3 cats...and 1 husband. :)
http://www.wineplz.com

Ms Eva said...

Sometimes I wish we lived on a farm so the kiddos could learn how hard our ancestors worked. We volunteer as living history interpreters and protray an 1880s homestead family... they get it a little (they are young yet, though).

Danica Favorite said...

I run from farm chores, although I do have quite a bit of rosemary envy. I haven't been able to get the stuff to live beyond a couple of years.

Beth Morey said...

I tag you for a NaBloPoMo meme. Check the details here: http://codyisamazing.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-was-tagged-by-ginni-for-this.html

Danica Favorite said...

I have rosemary bush envy. I can never keep mine alive.

Leeann said...

Woah! I am tired just reading that!

jayedee said...

man oh man! those farm chores are neverending aren't they? my garden is still producing so i'm canning nearly every day too!
lots of work, but i wouldn't have it any other way!